Many people know about a tarot deck but fewer people know about an oracle deck. Yet, many professional mediums like using an oracle deck to do intuitive readings. There are some distinct differences between the two and learning the distinctions will help you in reading an oracle deck.
Differences Between the Tarot and Oracle Decks
A tarot deck is incredibly specific and leads little to interpretation. It provides perspective and guidance based on individual experiences. Oracle decks are more interpretive.
Choosing the Right Oracle Deck
Oracle decks are widely available and there are hundreds from which to choose. Each has a different focus and theme and that can confuse some searching for a deck. Choosing the right deck for you involves using intuition to pick one that draws you. You may also want to collect some different decks as each may be necessary depending on circumstances or mood.
Some professional mediums have up to 30 decks to meet the needs of their various customers.
Reading the Cards
Reading the oracle decks involves more than just reading. It involves sorting and shuffling as well as interpreting. To start, create a blank, open mind. If you are reading for yourself, find a quiet place to connect with your energy.
Hold the deck in your hands and think about the guidance you need. Your intuition will bring things to your mind. If you’re helping someone else, concentrate on that person while shuffling the cards.
Picking the cards from the shuffled deck can be done in any number of ways but you need to pick a way that makes you feel comfortable. Some will shuffle the cards until they get a feeling to pick out a card. Others wait for a card to drop out of the deck or stick out.
You also need to use your intuition regarding how many cards you pick. Once you draw the cards, put them facedown on the table in front of you. Turn them over one at a time. As you turn them over, listen to your first thoughts about the meaning of the cards. It is usually the first impression that is correct.
If several thoughts come to your mind, sit a moment to see what resonates.
There are some other tips to keep in mind when using an oracle deck.
- The deck is sacred. They should be respected as such. No one else should touch your deck, even if you are doing a reading for others. Keep your deck in a locked or closed drawer so it doesn’t pick up stray energy.
- Don’t stick to the guidebook. Card designers write guidebooks to interpretation. These can be helpful when you buy a new deck but the manual is only a guide. Your intuition is the ultimate interpretation.
- The card’s imagery is important. There are times where the imagery means more to the interpretation than the words.
- Keep positive while reading the cards. Intense negative emotions, such as fear, block intuition. Relax and use the cards to put you in touch with your intuition.
- Find your rhythm. You need to allow space between readings for yourself. Those who become overly dependent on cards and do several readings a day will find their readings will become less accurate. Your energy can be drained so find a regular time to do readings that isn’t too much but is consistent.